American entrepreneur and motivational speaker Jim Rohn once said,
Take care of your body. It is the only place you’ve got to live.
When you look deep, there is so much truth in a single line. We often run behind career, money and fame, and in the process we completely ignore to look after our health which provides us with the potential to achieve our goals.
We are exposed to more pollution, added sugar and residual pesticides than any other generation in human history. This makes us more vulnerable to lifestyle diseases like hypertension, diabetes, and the worst being cancer.
But, with proper guidance and health checkups we can keep a tab on our health and live a healthy life.
I’ve been going for regular health checkups since 2015. When I recently thought of getting myself checked, I got an invite from Apollo Hospitals to experience their 3 PM Express Health Checkup.
I immediately signed up.
Soon after I signed up, I got instructions about the procedure and I was given a date and time to get myself checked.
When they asked me to take a seat soon after I reached, I thought this was going to be like any other lab. They make you wait for an hour or two and when you’re about to lose it, they’ll call you in, measure your BP and tell that you’ve got hypertension.
But, Apollo was different. They got a separate five-storey building called the Apollo Personal Health Checkup (APHC) block to handle health checkups. My package, the 3 PM Express Health Checkup contained the following tests:
- Chest X-ray
- Complete Blood study (RBC count, WBC count, platlets, haemoglobin, etc.)
- Blood creatine levels to check the health of your kidneys.
- Measure Alanine Transaminase (ALT) check the health of your Liver.
- Urine study
- ECG (To check the health of your heart)
The entire sample collection process, along with ECG, X-ray, etc. got over within an hour. The staffs were very patient and guided me in every step of the way. During this time, I was also visited by two doctors, who asked me about my family history and spoke to me about my health.
Post Checkup Assistance
After I came back home from the checkup, I thought I will have to go to Hospital again to receive my health reports. But, I got SMS alert the same evening informing me that all the results have been uploaded to Apollo’s online health portal – Apollo Prism. I registered using my mobile number and I was able to access my results online within the next 5 minutes. It was fast and efficient.
I also received a comprehensive report with the doctor’s opinion to my email address. The management also gave me a time slot for me to come for a follow up meeting with the doctor.
The whole process was fast and painless.
For those who wish to get themselves checked, they can make use of the 3 PM Express health checkup that comes at a price of Rs. 1650.
Everything was excellent. But, I felt that they could’ve also included an abdomen ultrasound as part of the package. This would be very helpful for both men and women and would allow more people to opt for the package.
Apollo Hospitals: Some key facts
- Apollo has three CATH labs, a one of kind in India. They can perform three angioplasty procedures simultaneously.
- They have a state of the art physiotherapy department that has robotic machinery to help people walk. Apollo is the only facility in Asia to have such infrastructure.
- They have fully equipped ambulances (60 in total) that are capable of functioning as mobile ICUs.
- Apollo has an advanced blood screening and typing center that automates everything right from screening, separation of blood to its constituents, preservation to cross matching the right type for the recipient. They also use cutting edge RFID technology to locate the right blood match.
- They have nucleic acid analyzers that are capable of detecting viral infections by looking for their nucleic acid material in the blood. The best part about this is, the test identifies the virus before our body’s own immune system.
- They are also the authorized health checkup partner for several embassy’s that require a health checkup for the sanction of visa.
After my experience from visiting the facility up and close and getting myself checked, I would recommend Apollo Hospitals for anyone who is looking for a quality health care provider in Chennai. I thank Mr. Subbiah Viswanathan, COO of Apollo Hospitals and Mr.Elango, Head – Security services for patiently answering all our questions.
According to Subbiah Viswanathan, COO of Apollo Hospitals, it is always wise to sign up for a health insurance policy as health care consumes a significant amount of your savings and is the next biggest expense after education and marriage.
And, Women’s day is round the corner and Apollo hospitals is providing health checkup for women at a discounted price. You can avail up to 40% discount on selected packages. The offer is valid till March 31, 2017.